Home About Us Assessment and Fees Forms COGMED Contact Us

Frequently Asked Questions


What can I expect from Professional Psychological Solutions, PLLC in terms of service?

  • PPS is committed to several concepts of service to our clients. We are committed to using only the most professional and up-to-date protocols that are appropriate to the issues we are testing. We are also committed to doing a full range of testing so that our findings are meaningful and complete. We are not a "one note" practice that always finds the same issue. We want you to know that what we see based upon our experience and our testing's along with why we see it.

I notice that not all fees are covered on the website. How do I know what costs are to be expected?

  • Our fees are based upon a number of issues that vary with individual circumstance. Once we have conducted an initial intake interview, we will provide you with a fee schedule along with an estimated time of completion. You do not need to commit to anything until you are satisfied that you understand what is involved and how much it will cost.

I am not satisfied with the testing my child's school district has done. If you test my child, will the school district believe these results?

  • When a school district tests your child, it is called a Full and Individual Evaluation (FIE) and it is often limited to testing for a specific disability and how that disability impacts progress within the educational setting. If the disability is confirmed through testing, and it is a qualifying disability under TEA guidelines, testing often stops. At PPS, we believe that it is important to see the whole picture, and if possible, determine the impact of all of the issues involved. Our testing is referred to as the Independent Educational Evaluation (IEE). Under current TEA guidelines, the ARD committee must consider the results of the IEE.

I note that the PPS website refers to "Transition" as a service offered. What does that mean?

  • "Transition" is a term that relates to the passage of an individual from one life phase to another. Some of the more significant transition points are: HS graduation, entrance into a college or university, marriage, birth of a child, divorce, and retirement. At PPS we specialize in transition activities for HS grads, college/university entrance, and retirement.

Your website says that you do bilingual assessments. Does this mean you test in Spanish?

  • Yes, we can test in Spanish. One of our co-founders (Dr. Sylvia G. Garza) is a native Spanish speaker and has conducted numerous assessments in Spanish for both school districts and individuals.

What insurance programs do you take?

  • Most insurance companies do not cover psychological testing for developmental delays, autism spectrum disorders, ADHD, or learning issues, as they deem these services 'educational' rather than 'medical,' even if the provider is 'in-network.' PPS provides the client a detailed statement of fees for clients' submission to insurance companies for reimbursement.

What exactly does "special education advocacy" mean?

  • For PPS, special education advocacy means a number of different things. In most cases, it entails helping to educate the parents or guardians of a special needs student regarding what their child's disability means in the school setting. It also means that PPS looks at the disability along with the age and present level of academic and functional performance to help parents understand what the IEP might look like. In the final analysis, it means helping the parents achieve the best possible outcome for their student.


When I read "ARD Attendance," what does that mean?

  • ARD attendance means, if a parent requires someone to assist them during the ARD meeting or wants someone to represent them in the ARD meeting, PPS can do that. Between Dr. Garza and Dr. Martin, they have collectively attended thousands of ARD meetings in the State of Texas.

What if I have other questions which are not addressed here?

  • Please contact us at drmartin@ppsdfw.com or directly at 214-537-5943. If we do not have an immediate answer for your question, we will research the facts and get back to you.